rhn_register crashes while starting

I’m setting up a tactical farm of Linux servers on some desktops till we can get the permanent kit installed in the data center.

The new servers are running on trader desktops so they’re reasonably good kit. Too satisfy security requirements we need to use a customised build of Red Hat 5 and I’m on the last of the 6 machines.

While trying to run rhn_register on this last machine, it kept starting then crashing straight away with no really error. I dug into the log file and found the following error.

FatalErrorWindow(screen, e.errmsg)
exceptions.AttributeError: SSLCertificateVerifyFailedError instance has not attribute 'errmsg'

I’m sure you’ll agree that from this exception it’s obvious what the problem is? No? Well chances are, its the datetime of the machine. In my case it thought it was 24th October 2010.

A quick date -s and all was sorted.


SharePoint 2010/2013 Developer Dashboard

The SharePoint developer dashboard, when switched on, will render at the bottom of the page in SharePoint 2010 and appear as an icon in the top right hand corner of SharePoint 2013. If the DisplayLevel is set to OnDemand for SharePoint 2010 then the behaviour will be as SharePoint 2013, that is the developer dashboard will be visible at the click of the icon on the ribbon.

SharePoint Developer Dashboard

####Activating in PowerShell

$d = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService]::ContentService.DeveloperDashboardSettings
$d.DisplayLevel = 'OnDemand'
$d.TraceEnabled = $true
\$d.Update()

####Activatin using command line and stsadm

stsadm -o setproperty -pn developer-dashboard -pv OnDemand

Partitioning a large disk in RedHat

For the project I am currently working on, we have an order for a Hadoop Appliance from our supplier to be placed in the Mega Data Centre for processing all of our log files. The order is in, but with all the red tape its going to be a while before it’ll be up and running.

In order for this delay not to impact the project, we’ve been given dispensation to host a small cluster of machines running Cloudera in one of the local server rooms. This will give us our processing capability while we wait for the main appliance to be commissioned.

This week I’ve been installing the corporate approved build of Red Hat onto the old trader spec desktops that we’ve managed to get our hands on. Its basically standard Red Hat Enterprise Server but with some slight modifications made to harden it.

We have bought 3TB disks for the data storage in these boxes, given their size they’re using GPT partition tables and initially it’s been difficult to get fdisk to partition the disks correctly. In the end, the following steps were all that were needed to get things working and create the 3TB partition.

\$ fdisk -l

# find the correct device name, in my case /dev/hdc

\$ parted /dev/hdc1
(parted) mklabel gpt
(parted) unit TB
(parted) mkpart primary 0 3

# check the partition

(parted) p
(parted) quit
\$ mkfs.ext4 /dev/hdc1

Deleting SQL database from the command line

For one reason or another, my SharePoint 2013 development environment became corrupt and the quickest way to get it up and running again was to start a fresh with SharePoint.

The problem I faced was when running the Products and Technologies tool to configure the instance with the existing sites still there, I compounded these problems by being a little brutal in clearing up the previous virtual directories.

The upshot of all this is that I was left with SQL databases that needed clearing up and no desire to sit and wait for Management Studio Express to download and install just to deal with it.

sqlcmd -S .\SharePoint
1> EXEC sp_databases
2> GO
1> DROP DATABASE [WSS_content_guid]
2> GO

Moving to git pages

Not too long ago I moved my website to a static page structure using Sandra.Snow. At the time, I was aware that it was based on the idea of Jekyll with a Microsoft lilt using Nancy to generate the static files.

As a long time Microsoft user it made sense for me to use this approach rather than fighting with Windows to get a working installation of Ruby and the required dependencies.

Now, with my recent Windows to Linux transition I have the reverse problem. I can no long easily maintain my blog using Sandra.Snow so I’m looking to Jekyll as a solution. The process of using git pages to host the website and the steps for managing the DNS required to get up and running with your own domain name pointing to it are both pretty straight forward. The detailed instructions on github and the jekyll website are enough to get going.