There are lots of monitoring and alerting tools out there and I’m sure everyone has there own preference on which they’re going to use.

We have selected monit for simple monitoring of disk space, tunnels and processes because its simple to setup and does exactly what we’re asking it to do.

I particularly like DSL for defining which checks you want to perform.

As we’re running monit on multiple machines, we’re also evaluating m/monit which centralises the monitoring of all the separate instances in a nice dashboard.

Installing Monit

Our servers are Red Hat so we’re not using yum install monit which will get you stated on on a Fedora machine. Equally the downloads page on the monit site will give you the quick and easy installation for other common platforms.

class="highlight"># create the install folder sudo mkdir /opt/monit cd /opt/monit # get... read more

Using AWS Simple Email Service with Oozie in Cloudera

I’ve moved to a new role where I will be doing a lot more “devops” type work which hopefully comes with more interesting subjects to start writing about.

Oozie and AWS Simple Email Services

The Cloudera cluster I have started working on is hosted in AWS and has all the security bells and whistles turned on; Kerberos, TLS etc.

Recently a support ticket came my way where the Email Action in Oozie was failing, on top of this there was no notification around job success and the Kill action wasn’t sending emails…. more than likely Oozie isn’t correctly configured for email.

As mentioned before, we use TLS everywhere possible and want to use Amazon’s Simple Email Service endpoint to relay the messages through. TLS SMTP isn’t supported directly with Oozie so there is a requirement to put something in the middle. In this case, the something is... read more

Wordle Interpretation of CV

Today someone showed me a handle word cloud tool called wordle.

I put the skills from my CV into it and had a play with the output… I think it looks quite cool.

My Wordle Skills List

read more

First go at creating a Garmin watch face

For a while Garmin have been adding “wearable technology” functionality to their watches - notifications from the phone etc. I got a Garmin Fenix 3 for Christmas and had a play with the vast number of watch faces and widgets that were available.

The recent updates have really added some great functionality and I ended up settling on the out of the box digital face as my normal watch face but I still wanted to have a go at creating my own watch.

###Monkey C The programming language used to develop the faces, apps, widgets and data fields is called Monkey C and the IDE is mostly intended to be Eclipse.

Its almost certainly going to be worth your time looking at the Garmin developer site to get the full over view of whats required, but I’m covering the headlines below.

####Getting the SDK First you need to download the... read more

Scala eXchange 2015 - Embracing the community

Today I’m at my first Scala eXchange conference - the 5th annual one to be precise.

The day started with the keynote session by @jessitron which was both inspiring and enlightening. The general tone being that code should be clear and useful so that others can learn.

Drawing on examples where opaque libraries with poor documentation or overly simplified examples limited the accessibility to the new user. Words like “Simply”, “Just”, “Obviously” and “Clearly” are the scourge of documentation and for the most part lazy.

Contribution to any project should be welcomed, its an active attempt to say “hey, I’m here to help and I’m interested”. Even if the contribution isn’t entirely helpful or needs polishing it should still be embraced and encouraged.

I’ve mumbled for years about how to get involved with a project assuming that I needed to offer huge value on the first pull request... read more